Pope Francis slams “Vatican-centric view” taken by the Roman Catholic Church and with what he sees as the narcissism of some of its leaders. See here
He wants change in the way the Church serves the people of the world — both Christians and non-Christians alike.
I say , thank “goodness” for the arrival of Pope Francis. Finally at least one christian domination can be thankful for having someone alive with a good-dose of empathy intact.
The pope goes on to say “Our goal [as Christians] is not to proselytize but to listen to needs, desires and disappointments, despair, hope. We must restore hope to young people, help the old, be open to the future, spread love.”
Well .Thank goodness for that.
There sure is dire need for christian’s to wake up and start listening. There is very-little hope left for us all, unless they do.
Pope Francis says how the “Heads of the Church have often been narcissists, flattered and thrilled by their courtiers. The court is the leprosy of the papacy,”
Well good on this man for be so openly accepting in his way of acknowledging the Catholic-churches part in this problem. Even as an agnostic atheist i can still say i feel admiration for this new-age attitude he displays.
But i still say that the Catholic church need not feel-alone, within this ongoing problem. Because plenty of other Christians and Christian domination’s sure seem also display some rather extremely narcissistic traits too.
The Pope discusses how “This Vatican-centric view neglects the world around us. ”
Well i say that much of Christianity is guilty of such matters too. For quite obviously , very few care about ongoing faith-abuses. I say very obviously . Because we don’t often see or hear so-many of these so-called Christians, even bothering to get involved in addressing this ongoing-problem. Do we ?
No we don’t . Indeed we see far more Christian emphasis being directed at things like freedom of religion .
1. Do a quick google-search of freedom of religion , using the “news” search. And this is how much public interest there is. See here
2.Do a quick google of religious abuse, using the “news” search. And this is how much interest the is . See here
On the whole .Most religious people seem far-more worried about themselves retaining their right to have freedom of religion . Than they ever seem so worried about the amount of ongoing faith-abuse that still exists all around them.
Many will continually bleat and bicker . About falling church numbers . Loss of freedoms. And discuss their personal-dislike of atheism as well (which is still on the up-rise )
Yet what do these religious folk care to say and do about the existence ongoing faith-abuses ?
Very little . Next to nothing at all. That’s how sad the situation is
Do we ever see them on the news taking about ongoing faith-abuse ?
No .Hardly ever. We mostly only ever see them publicly bleating about how they feel that their religious freedoms are under attack . And suchlike
So i ask .Is religion in general being plagued by a collective-narcissistic disorder syndrome ?
Well . I wonder about that. Lets further-explore the narcissistic trait.
According to opinion of Dr Craig Malkin. The Author, Clinical Psychologist, Instructor Of Psychology for HMS . See here
When it comes to diagnosing narcissism. The most glaring problems are easy to spot . They are
1.The apparent absence of even a shred of empathy.
2.The grandiose plans and posturing.
3.The rage at being called out on the slightest of imperfections or normal human missteps.
He then says the more subtle traits are
1. Projected Feelings of Insecurity
3. A Fragmented Family Story
4. Idol Worship
5. A High Need for Control
When i do a quick google-search on topic atheism , using the “news” search. The first hit i get is written by John Carlson, Associate Professor of Religious Studies and Associate Director of the Center for the Study of Religion and Conflict at Arizona State University. see here
The man also seems most of all concerned about how “Camus offers a powerful counter-example to the stridency and animus of the “new atheism” associated with Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and others. “
Never mind any-concern for ongoing faith abuses !!
For he seems most unhappy about himself/christians being mocked, and feels bullied by the charge that “religion poisons everything” .
Empathized how Camus was humble about his unbelief .
Yet i feel i fail to see anything so-humble within what John Carlson writes with regard to at least admitting the existence of widespread faith abuse.. No no. For it seems he far prefers to get personally involved in
1) Projected Feelings of Insecurity (John Carlson .Like the boss who questions your methods after their own decision derails an important project) After all, if religious faith was being such a wonderful project ,then why would church-number be falling ? , and atheism be on the rise ?
2) Emotion-phobia . John Carlson seem to have an emotional phobia . Being unable to admit-emotion that religion has its own very big-problems.Instead seems only able to offer-up the claim that “The new atheism offers nothing comparable at the very time when moral and political struggles — among them against religious extremism — threaten and implicate believers and unbelievers alike.”
3) A Fragmented Family Story . Christianity in general, does have an extremely fragmented family story . See here
4) Idol Worship Well this man John Carlson , is busy putting Albert Camus on a pedestal here . And Christians in general sure like to put Jesus on a pedestal too . Christians will often be found to talk about things like the “unconditional” love of Jesus. Yet will find it just as easy to simply forget that evidently certain people may be condemned to hell (so Jesus love is not so “unconditional” after all). And suchlike
5) A High Need for Control Many/most religious folk, seem to totally loathe the idea of being put at the mercy of other people’s preferences. Hence why they will all cling-on-so-strongly to these laws of freedom of faith like they do. (Yet if we were to suggest that maybe all the boy-racers should be governed by a law called “freedom of speed” , said theists would very-quickly see such laws as being ludicrous . Yet said religious folk will fear any form of government regulation of themselves ) Religious folk will also “often arrange events (and maneuver people) to orchestrate the outcomes they desire” themselves too, when personally getting very-involved in public church rally’s to do with issues of abortion , euthanasia , gay marriage and suchlike
Add to all this
1. that most glaring problems with the narcissistic-trait are also easy to spot.When we are easily noticing the general lack of empathy that exists among religion and religious folk in general . When we notice how very few still seem to even bother to care-much, with regard to all these ongoing faith-abuses existing . When we see how little John Carlson seem to care about these ongoing-problems within religion itself. Even in the year 2013
2. The grandiose plans and posturing. When said religious folk including John Carlson, all seem to pay far more attention to detail , on their own-hope of gaining a place in eternity . Than they seem to even bother care to think that-much about the plight of lives of certain people still being-forced to be living under so many ongoing faith-abuses happening . Right at this present time ,right here and now on this earth in this year 2013
3. The rage at being called out on the slightest of imperfections or normal human missteps . We hear/see it all the time .We even feel/see it coming from within John Carlson’s attitude and written words. Indignant religious folk . Even in the news items in newspapers or on TV as well too. In comments on blogs . Embroiled in election campaigns . When being found out
We see/feel it on forums like this here too (cited within laws of fair use). When people calling themselves Christians, will sometime be seen/heard trying to lay all blame for these ongoing faith abuses ,all on members of one little sect known as the Exclusive Brethren ( one of the many plymouth brethren offshoot’s) . As if exclusive brethren invent the rules of freedom of religion. Rather than dare to see that these issues may run far deeper than that.
1. Because they lacking in the aspect of empathy ,needed to do otherwise .
2.Because of the grandiose plans and posturing . That has them grasping onto the idea that the church-group they belong to/visit . Is somehow thought to be way-above what the exclusive brethren group is
3. And they will have a rage at being called out on the slightest of imperfections or normal human missteps too . How do i know this ? . Its the reason i would no-longer even bother to comment of their ex-eb forum (because they don’t even like to hear someone like myself , even daring suggest that the problem of these ongoing faith abuses, may run even deeper than it only being an ex-eb problem alone) This is why many there are seen talking about what/who can be classed as a “real-Christian”
Therefore i suggest.
Religion is riddled with collective narcissism